2-1/2 pounds lamb pieces, meat and bones, from the neck or shoulder (about 16 pieces)
3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence (see Note below)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1. Arrange lamb pieces in one layer in a large heavy casserole or sauté pan. (I use a large stainless steel sauté pan) Put the pan over low heat and brown the lamb for approximately 20 minutes,
turning the pieces to brown evenly on all sides.
2. Cut the yams into 3-inch cubes.
3. Add the yams with remaining ingredients and 2/3 cup water to the pan of lamb.
4. Cook over high heat for 2 minutes. Cover, reduce the heat to very low, and cook for 1 hour, adding a few tablespoons of water as needed if the moisture disappears.
5. Serve immediately with all the natural juices.
NOTE: If you do not have Herbes de Provence, substitute equal amounts of at least three of the following: dried marjoram, thyme, summer savory, sage, fennel, basil, rosemary and/or lavender.